||Last Updated: 28 Aug 2022 - 8:06:35 PM
Fresh from the European Championships, Orla Walsh (Nopinz Motip Race Team) knocked over one tenth off the 500-metre time trial record at the Track National Championships today which is being run alongside the Dublin Track International, a UCI Class 2 (C2) event.
Track Champs - Walsh sets new National Record & Wade bags two gold medals
By Ciara O’Shea, Cycling Ireland
27 Aug 2022,
Email this article
Walsh set a time of 36.13 beating the record she set at last year's national championships (36.228), retaining the national title. Deirbhle Ivory of UCD Cycling Club set the next fastest time, 38.41 with Orla Mary Harrison from Arcane Cycling Team claiming the bronze medal with a time of 39.88.
Orla Walsh said:
"That was a fun ride, it's a lovely day as well so that helps. I messed up my start a little bit. It's funny I always pick out the things I've done incorrectly for next time but overall I'm happy with the pb time and national record so it was good.”
Aaron Wade (Team U Cube 17) was on top form claiming three medals in total today. Wade proved quickest in the individual pursuit, beating Sean Lenehan (Spin11 - Chain Reaction RT) in the gold medal ride-off to claim the national title. Seán Landers of UCD Cycling Club went on to win the bronze medal ride-off ahead of Michael Phelan (Spellman -Dublin Port).
In the men’s C2 Omnium, in the final points race, Wade managed to bump himself up three places in the standings to win the overall Omnium on 157 points ahead of Anders Fynbo (DEN) of Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team on 144 points with Fynbo’s teammate, Stefan Caulfield- Dreier claiming the bronze on 138 points.
In the women’s C2 Omnium, Emily Kay (Torelli-Assure-Cayman Islands) took the overall win on 151 points ahead of Lara Gillespie (UCD Cycling Club) who finished on 142 points. South African rider, Kerry Jonker competing for Andy Schleck CP NVST had an impressive ride in the points race that saw her jump from 5th place to 3rd place, snatching the bronze medal by just 3 points from Italian rider, Francesca Selva.
Kay commented after the race:
“I’m really happy. It’s nice to come back to a home track and race here and to get a win”.
“The level at Europeans was so high that I gained a lot of experience and fitness so I felt good today,” Kay added.
Harvey Barnes (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team) went on to retain the national title in the kilo time trial by the narrowest of margins. His time of 1:07.565 was enough to see off Eoin Mullen’s (Black Line) time of 1:07.604. Aaron Wade rounded off the podium to claim his third medal of the day with a time of 1:10.047.
Barnes was delighted to retain the national title.
“I’m feeling very good. The track was a bit windier than last year; the times were a bit slower than last year, but it felt good. I’m looking forward to the sprint tomorrow.
Speaking about his training leading into the National Championships, Barnes said:
“It hasn’t been as good as previous years. I finished my education in May so I started full time work in the second half of May so I’ve been working in an engineering company for the last couple of months, so training has sort of been a lot less than it probably should’ve been in previous years, but I’ve been doing enough to keep the fitness up anyways so I’m happy enough at the minute.”
Andre Grennel (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team) and Lara Gillespie took impressive wins in the scratch races, claiming the national title. Gabriella Homer became the new individual pursuit national champion beating Keela Mac Hale (Sundrive Track Team) in the gold medal ride-off while Patrick O’Loughlin (Panduit Carrick Wheelers) took a solo victory in the junior men’s scratch race.
Results from all the races today can be found below.
UCI Class 2
500m TT (Incorporating National Championships)
1. Orla Walsh - 36.13 (Nopinz Motip Race Team)
2. Deirbhle Ivory - 38.41 (UCD Cycling)
3. Orla Mary Harrison - 39.88 (Arcane Cycling Team)
Men's Kilo TT (Incorporating National Championships)
1. Harvey Barnes - 1:07.565 (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team)
2. Eoin Mullen -1:07.604 (Black Line)
3. Aaron Wade - 1:10.047 (Team U Cube 17)
Junior Men’s Scratch Race
1. Patrick O’Loughlin (Panduit Carrick Wheelers)
2. Christopher Marshall (Pinergy Orwell Wheelers)
3. Luke Bernie (Navan Road Club)
1. Emily Kay (Torelli-Assure-Cayman Islands)
2. Lara Gillespie (UCD Cycling)
3. Kerry Jonker (Andy Schleck CP NVST) (RSA)
1. Aaron Wade (Team U Cube 17)
2. Andres Fynbo (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team) (DEN)
3. Stefan Caulfield- Dreier (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team)
National Championships Results
Women’s Scratch race
1. Lara Gillespie (UCD Cycling)
2. Emily Kay (Torelli-Assure-Cayman Islands)
3. Gabriella Homer (Saint Piran WRT)
Men’s Scratch race
1. Andre Grennell (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team)
2. John Buller (Amicale Cycliste Bisontine)
3. Stephan Caulfield-Dreier (Spellman Dublin Port Cycling Team)
Women’s Individual Pursuit
1. Gabriella Homer (Saint Piran WRT)
2. Keela Mac Hale (Sundrive Track Team)
3. Jennifer Neenan (Sundrive Track Team)
Men’s Individual Pursuit
1. Aaron Wade (Team U Cube 17)
2. Sean Lenehan (Spin11 - Chain Reaction RT)
3. Seán Landers (UCD)