||Last Updated: 6 Apr 2018 - 12:06:24 PM
Like Bikes? Come to Bike Fest, Cycling Ireland’s Annual Family Festival
Big Plans for Bike Fest 2016 – Cycling Ireland’s Family Cycling
By Heather Boyle, Communications Officer, Cycling Ireland
15 Jun 2016,
Email this article
Big bikes, small bikes, knobbly tyres and slicks, if you have a bike, and only plan on one Bike Week outing this year, make it Bike Fest on Sunday the 19th June, from 12 noon to 5pm. This year’s National Family Cycling Festival takes place in Dublin’s St. Anne’s Park once more, with a jam packed schedule and events to suit every type of rider, from the toddlers on balance bikes to those brave enough for the Spiral of Despair.
The Cycling Ireland family once again has come together to provide a fun filled day for the whole family, including a cycling obstacle course, a cycle safety school, a mountain bike track and come and try zones in both BMX and track cycling. Check out the insanely talented Savage Skills stunt crew, tackle the cycling maze and justify an indulgent afternoon treat at one of the many food stalls with a choice of two 5km family cycles around the beautiful park.
This is the sixth year that the Cycling Ireland run festival takes place, with the Dublin City Council Park in Clontarf/Raheny being the base for the fourth consecutive year. Cycling Ireland’s free annual family cycling festival once again is one of the key events in National Bike Week, and this year will be the closing event of a week of celebrations of all things cycling.
Rachel Ormrod, Cycling Ireland Coach Education and Programmes Manager is expecting another great event; “Last year we had over 4000 people at Bike Fest, and it is so encouraging to see people of all ages enjoy their bikes so much. The atmosphere is really special, families gather having picnics on one side of the avenue and some of our best coaches teach cycling skills to the kids on the other side. Sprocket Rocket is one of the favourites each year – it’s a cycling obstacle course based on Sprocket Rocket, our cycling programme for young riders. Not only is there something for everyone, but the shows put on by Savage Skills is unbelievable. They are a talented group, and they know how to entertain the crowds.”
Whether your focus is on availing of the top quality coaching, testing your bike skills or checking out the stunts of Savage Skills, the trial bike stunt crew, make sure you are ready for a whole new bike experience this Sunday. Entrance is free to Bike Fest, the Cycling Ireland Family Cycling Festival, on Sunday June 19th from 12 noon – 5pm, with guaranteed fun for all the family; all that is required is a bike, a helmet, and a sense of adventure.
Interested in being part of the day? Why not volunteer? Find out how HERE - http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/volunteers-needed-for-bike-fest/2051
· Sprocket Rocket skills zone – fully coached cycling obstacle course
· Gearing Up Off Road – fully coached off road experience constructed in the main park
· MTB zone – an excursion into the woods and around the trees in St. Anne’s Park
· BMX Zone – an introduction to BMX riding, try out the technical start gates
· Track Cycling Zone – an introduction to track cycling, try out the bikes that have no brakes and no gears
· Safe Cycling School – a cycling school set up in a safe environment to teach you how to ride on the road
· Balance Bike Zone – not yet cycling a pedal bike? Try out the balance bikes, a bike with no pedals – ideal for children aged 18 months – 5 years
· 5km Family Cycle – Clontarf Cycling Club lead the cycle around St. Anne’s Park (two options)
· Spiral of Despair – try out your skills on the cycling maze in the park
· Savage Skills – Trials Bike Stunt Crew perform throughout the day
· RSA Shuttle Bus – interactive and educational road simulator, including a bicycle simulator
· Doctor Mechanic – here to help if you run into difficulty on the day
· Food Stalls – a variety of options
· MC – Shane Burke
Event Organiser: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cycling Ireland Communications: email@example.com